Friday, February 15, 2008

Today's Oncology Visit

Hi Everyone,

Jeff and I met with is Oncologist today and reviewed the results of his tests that were done last week. There wasn't much that we didn't already know except there are now more tumors near the heart/breast bone (the place they have been watching) and in his abdomen. There is also a new spot on his T10 thorasic spine (lower in his back) which is in addition to the spot on his C7 spine that we knew about and a spot on the tail bone.

His insulin is now 108.6 (2.6 - 24.9 is normal) which is more than double of what it was on his last visit to NIH last fall and the tumors on his liver make up 30% of the liver volume. The liver still is a very big concern for the doctors but the Oncologist wants to treat the cancer systematically now and not just focus on the liver. They have NOT confirmed that the mass in the duodenum is tumor activity but at this point, I'm not sure it matters if Jeff is eating okay and not having digestional problems.

Now, with all that said, they started Jeff on Zometa today (by IV) to stregthen his bones and he'll need this every 28 days. This is a preventative measure to keep the bones strong and hopefully prevent the tumors from causing factures or getting into the spinal column.

They also started him on two oral chemotherapy drugs today - Temozolomide and Thalidomide - which have had a fairly positive affect on neuroendocrine tumors like Jeff's. One of the drugs is taken for 7 days then is stopped for 7 days before resuming again. It looks like this regimine will go on for a few months but Jeff will be monitored closely to make sure his blood counts don't suffer.

The Oncologist recommended these drugs because of their effect on Jeff's type of cancer and also because giving them orally will help him/us maintain a decent quality of life. They did mention that the drugs can cause hair loss, nausea and fatigue (as well as other numerous side affects) but they have taken precautions to help .... with everything but the hair loss that is. Of course, if you may remember from the last time, I think bald is beautiful and very "in vogue" lately. It's just hard convincing Jeff of that.

Jeff is all set to go back to Bethesda next Friday for a follow up visit which his Oncologist as well as his next appointment in 28 days for another IV of the Zometa and a prescrption refill on the chemo drugs.

Please keep him and us in your prayers....I think it's going to be a tough going from here on out.

Linda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there my friend if you need a laugh, I am in AZ right now (planned visit) BUT Dad fell of a ladder while getting a chair down for a customer and broke his left wrist, fractured his right elbow, and fractured the ball on his right foot. We arrived last night coming via the 15 to the 215 to the 60 to the 10 because the last storm caught the city by suprise and stranded over 500 people for about 30 miles in the mountions. So the "*" was closed until sometime last night. OOPPS, maybe Dad will completely retire now. Good thing for him Mom is a retired nurse so she knows whats going on. Hang in there my friend and I thinking of you and if you need me there just say the word.
Love ya bro, Stevie

Anonymous said...

Jeff our prayers are with you and your family.  You always make lemonaid from lemons.  Hang in there.  If you ever need anything just say the word.dan b.

Anonymous said...

If I can endure for this minute
Whatever is happening to me,
No matter how heavy my heart is
Or how dark the moment may be ...

If I can remain calm and quiet
With all the world crashing about me,
Secure in the knowledge God loves me
When everyone else seems to doubt ...

If I can but keep on believing
What I know in my heart to be true,
That darkness will fade with the morning
And that "this will pass away, too!" ...

Then nothing in life can defeat me
For as long as this knowledge remains
I can suffer whatever is happening

For I know God will break all the chains
That are binding me tight in "the darkness"
And trying to fill me with fear ...
For there is "no night without dawning"
And I know that "my morning" is near

Ronny said...

Jeff and Linda,

It's so hard to understand how our body turns on us like what is happening to Jeff. I just don't understand how we are to tell what causes such a thing. We try and eat healthy, watch our intake of beverages and exercise to what we think is best for us or are told what is best. What can cause us to come down with such a beast in our body. As I sit here trying to think of positive things to say and wish for the best, and make it go away, I know that Jeff is dealing with a much greater issue than I can imagine or fix myself. I only wish I knew how! As we grow older, and find problems with our bodies as I too am finding now, it just doesn't seem fair that we are not all created equal and have the same outcome. Jeff has never done anything to deserve this beast yet it's with him. I am very happy our medicine and Doctors are much more sophisticated today as we hold our trust and prayer in them. I pray that Jeff will get better everyday and look for bright futures for the both of you. I wish we were closer so I could visit often and share the times we have had in the past. I will try to come visit soon. I love you both and pray you will both be positive through your times of challenge. Love, Ronny

Darrell and Melody White said...

Jeff,
You and your family are definitely in my (and Melody's) prayers. If you need anything, at any time, please call and we are ready to help; meals, help with the kids, dogs, whatever you need.

V/r,
Darrell and Melody White