Thursday, March 09, 2006

Home and Hairless

Jeff came home from NIH yesterday and today he started to loose his hair (a lot)...something that we didn't expect. The kids and I quickly gave him his favorite "cruize" haircut...you know, the "haze gray and under way" buzz cut (a number 2 blade all over). I think we both underestimated how emotional it would be.

Jeff is resting comfortably in front of the big screen this evening. His lab work has been good and the blood sugars have continued to be in the normal range (yea!!). He has regained some of his appetite and color (he was pretty pale the last two weeks) but he has lost a few pound....10 to be exact

Wife #2 went home this afternoon to check in with her family and Charlie (her favorite dog). I think she's a little home sick (understandably) and that she's forgotten how much fun raising teenagers can be (times 2). We are hoping that she'll come back for round two. Thank you Mike, Sarah, Andy, Bill, Charlie & Snickers for sharing this wonderful caregiver with us.

Well folks, it's been a long week for me at work and my extra curricular duties as nurse and beauticean have made me tired tonight. I'll post again this Sunday so please check in for more updates. FYI - Jeff is scheduled for a CT and MRI next Thursday and we see Dr. Drennen next Friday. Dr. Drennen will go over Jeff's results to see if the procedure made any progress on the liver tumors and she should start planning/preparation for the next round of chemo at the end of March.

In case I didn't mention it earlier, we have hung all of your cards and get well wishes on our front door...just like we do every year at Christmas. They have been really helpful in keeping our spirits up.

Thank you Tim Duffy and Deb Arellano for getting Jeff home from NIH yesterday...as I've said in my previous posts...I don't know what we would do without friends like all you!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are back home! Just wanted to let you know that I read this and will stay in touch Love ALL of YOU!

Bear

Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz,
Glad you are home and things seem to be progressing nicely, hang in there. I am sure you as handsome as ever with your new do, keep that chin up. :>)

You are in everyones prayers and not a day goes by that your not in mine. As the Senerity Prayer says: "God Grant me the senerity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference, let thy will be done not mine". Amen. I say this prayer many times and it always brings me comfort and I hope it will do the same for you.

I love you just like a brother and words can not express and give thanks for all you have given to me over the years, which is unconditional love and a blessing of one of the best cousins in the world.

I am blessed to call Linda, Justin, Brittany and Bradley and you my family and you have always made me feel like an important part of your lives. I hope to see you soon. In the meantime, my prayers are with you and if I can do anything at all, please let me know. I love you all. Love your cousins, Colleen and John X0X0X0

Anonymous said...

Hi honey - what the heck who needs hair anyway - they will think you are a skinhead (lol) We all will love you any way we can get you. You will always be my baby Jeff - LOVE YOU - Mom

Anonymous said...

Any excuse to get a good deployment haircut. High speed and low drag. I hope everything goes well this week, you stay in our thoughts and prayers.

Rob & Lisa Morris

Ronny said...

Hi Jeff,

Didn't realize you were back and now home since I spoke to you last. Wow how things change daily. Glad to hear you are doing better. HAIR? HA! You know how I am about hair. Don't have much to complain about so I'm use to it. When it does grow back you should try and only keep the sides full like mine and the top bald. I think most women like it that way. hehehehe Keep up the faith Jeff as I will do the same. Love ya brother. Ronny

Anonymous said...

Hope everything is still improving - this last posting is getting as bit stale. Keep your chin up, Jeff (it helps keep the drool off the furniture!).

Love from Joe & Rachel

Anonymous said...

Dear cousin Jeff this is your cousin Kathy (Colleen sister) my prayers and though are with your family. Keep up your chin god has a plan for you. Colleen tells all the time how beautiful your children are we have to get together I haven't seen you so long miss you and all the fun we had as kids at Nana and Grandpa lol. Well take care of yourself I will talk to you soon. Love your cousin Kathy

Anonymous said...

Jeff, just found out brother, will be in town from 3 - 6 April. I will make it a point to come and sit for awhile and go over some of the Sea Wall stories. I will pass on. Take Care Brother

Doug wesley

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff,
Hope your feeling better...
Please wish Britt and Brad
happy "Sweet Sixteen" for me.
Love you all!
Kerri

Anonymous said...

Just checking in to let you know we all here continue to pray for you. If you need me, you know where I am. m jones

Anonymous said...

Dear Cousin Jeff I hope you are feeling better. We all go through what we have to but we get through it somehow. Well I wanted to just tell you I was thinking about you. And alot of people are praying for you believe me. Well take care Love your cousin Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff, Get well SOON! We need to take another trip up to Bar Harbor with Jimmy behind the wheel :)

John Cochran

Anonymous said...

Dear Cousin Jeff hope everything is going well at home. I prayer each morning for you and your family. Take it easy and relax. Well take care god is watching over you believe me. Love your cousin Kathy