Sunday, February 26, 2006

February 26, 2006 ... Day 6 at NIH

Yesterday I was able to convince Jeff to go to a movie with me. Dr. Pingpank agreed that the fresh air would do us both good. Rema, Jeff's nurse quickly made sure that we had all of the supplies we needed, glucometer, tylenol, thermometer to monitor his temp, etc. Rema has been taking care of Jeff for the last three days in a row from 7:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. and she has been absoutely wonderful. She's paged the doctor when we had questions, changed the dressing in the pic line, and always makes sure that he was comfortable. Jeff mentioned this morning that he'd like to introduce Rema to Justin.

We used the Internet at Jeff's bedside to find the Landmark Theater in Bethesea along with directions on how to get there. It was about a 5 minute drive from NIH and to our surprise, the theater had stadium seating. It was a small theater that plays independent films tucked away on a sidestreet with 8 movie screens and a consession stand that served gourmet coffee and lattes along with the traditional fare. We saw Brokeback Mountain and were both very surprised at how good the movie was....in fact, after the movie was over, no one stood up to leave their seats. Of course, we enjoyed our date away from the hospital more than anything. It's been several months since we've actually gone out by our selves and saw a movie.

I left the hospital around 6 p.m. lastnight and got a good night's sleep in my own bed but I'm going back this morning with Brittany and Bradley in tow. I think Bradley is driving to he hospital and Brittany is driving back from the hospital as they both need to get their driving hours in. I talked to Jeff this morning and he was up eating breakfast. His last blood sugar was 130 and they decreased the amount of dextrose in his IV from 10% to 5% last night. His blood sugars yesterday before the movie (and with out the IV since 7 a.m.) was 84. Before we returned to the hospital it was 107 as the hotdog and popcorn are good foods to help keep them where they belong.

I'm trying to talk Jeff into another outing today for lunch with the kids...wish me luck. I know that we are all looking forward to getting him home on Monday and perhaps get things back to normal for a while before this all starts again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi jeff
so glad your doing better
and got a chance to go out and get some fresh air. this blog was a great idea to keep in touch with everyone. hope to talk to you soon.
love,mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro,

Round one under your belt and looking good. I will call you next week, once you get home and get back in the swing of things. Keep the faith bro because we are all pulling for you. As always please call me anytime. And Linda thank you so much for taking care of my Bro. your strength and Jeff's strong will is going to help you guy's and all of us make it through this journey just fine.

Love always,
Mark

Ronny said...

Brokeback Mountain???? HA HA.

Jeff, looking forward to talking with you on the phone soon. Glad you got out and hope you get to do the same with the family. Uncle Ronny say's JUST DO IT!

Hurry and get better cause my retirement is just around the corner. Cindy thinks she might have a job in Gainesville and should find out on Monday. She is here with me in Memphis this weekend.

Hope your day is a good one. Get well sooner and Keep the Faith. We all love you and your family.

Love, Ronny, Cindy and Austin.
Go Gators!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are doing much better keep up the good work! I know how hard it is on you and I feel your pain. Linda is a dream to keep everyone informed - thanks Linda. I hate being so far away but am happy you have such a wonderful family. Love you - Mom (G)

Anonymous said...

Linda and Jeff,
Thank goodness that you are doing better Jeff. Know that our thoughts and prayers are of you all also. Christy Gray sent me your link. Look, we haven't talked to you guys in a while and this is no way to get back in touch. We want to hear GOOD news! But, it does sound better. Once you get home, please, please, please know that you can call us at any time if you need ANYTHING. I haven't been bedside in a while, but I haven't forgotten everything and Jeff has a lot of resources up at Calvert. And my Mom is the office manager of Chesapeake Oncology and works with some wonderful oncologists also. And we are just across the bridge from you and can be there in 10 minutes if you need us. Just call...(410)394-0550. Keep up with the updates...we are following your progress! Take care.
Love,
Meredith, Jeff, Lauren, and Chase

Anonymous said...

Hey brother, Glad to hear you are doing better and close to going home. Hope to talk to you soon. Word of the day: FAITH IS THE SUBSTANCE OF THINGS HOPED FOR, THE EVIDENCE OF THINGS NOT SEEN. love ya brother!!!!

Jeff said...

Hey Everyone,
I'm still up here at NIH and doing much better. My blood sugars are starting to stabilize and hopefully we'll be home by tomorrow. Your comments keep me going and I look forward to reading them every day. Please keep my family in your prayers and we'll do the same for yours. Good night and good luck. Love, Jeff

Anonymous said...

hison just looking things over papajim