Friday, June 23, 2006

Tough Day

Jeff is finally sleeping but he's had a pretty rough day today. When I came in this afternoon he didn't look well. His eyes were droopy, he was complaining of lower back pain, and couldn't get comfortable. The nurses and doctors were watching him closely and saw that his urine output had slowed down considerably and his urine was cloudy...it was the beginning signs of either a urinary tract infection or a blockage. It wasn't until 9:00 tonight that they could get a good sample to send to the lab for testing.

We are still waiting on the results but I'm pretty certain (based on just the few clinical skills that I have) that he'll need antibiotics for a urinary infection. The on-call doctor just doesn't want to treat him until they confirm a diagnosis.

Jeff's stomach is also a little distended and he has been throwing up a little this evening, both of which can be caused by the urinary infection. They gave him his favorite anti-nausea medicine which also happens to knock him out...and I'm happy to say that he is sleeping comfortably for the first time since I arrived today. With any luck he'll be back up to post-surgery par by morning.

The doctors also put Jeff on clear liquids then took them back away just a few short hours later and put him back on ice chips. It's amazing that he didn't complain...I'm not sure I would have gone back without a fight.

Brittany, Brad and Sharon will be here for a visit tomorrow and I'm sure that will lift Jeff's spirits. He's talked to both Brit & Brad every day and I'm sure their smiling faces will bring him great joy tomorrow.

Justin for those of you who haven't heard is back from deployment and in Hawaii. However, I got a voice mail message this afternoon that they are going on a short trip for the weekend and he won't be back on the island until Monday. He should be home in Maryland around mid-August and I for one can't wait to see him. It's been far too long since I've gotten to see or hug him.

Well folks, it's getting late and we've had a very long day here at NIH. I'll try to post a little earlier tomorrow so that you know how things are progressing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro: Looks like you are well on your way to being better. Just want you to know that Amanda and I are praying for you. Tried to call you awhile ago and left a message, but I guess I missed you. Must have been the camping trips. We used to do alot of camping at Little Talbot when we lived in Georgia, but now we live here so we just go there. Hope to talk to you soon,and may God bless you abundantly with health and prosperity!!!!! Love ya Bro!!!

Anonymous said...

Jeff & Linda -
We just got back from our trip to Mt. Rainier this morning (2:30 AM!), went straight to bed and I've just finished reading the BOATLOAD of GOOD NEWS you've posted this week. Fantastic!
Now, if you could just freeze a beer or two, and slip some beer chips in with the ice...

Our love to all (and hoping for another update tonight, maybe...?)

J & R