Monday, April 17, 2006

Still Recovering

It's been a busy couple of weeks. Jeff's recovery is extremely slow this time. He ended up back in the hospital last Monday because his platelet count was EXTREMELY low. After 24 units of platelets they decided to keep him overnight and give him two units of red blood too. All that and double the dose of Neupogen (for the low white blood cell counts) helped get things back to normal and he was allowed to come home on Tuesday. I think he made the hemotology record books with counts that low.

Jeff was feeling pretty much like s..t for the last 10 days but things are starting to improve. We actually went out to dinner tonight after dropping the kids off at their friend's house. What a treat that was. I can't tell you the last time the two of us dined alone.

Jeff had his regular blood work done today and we are able to stop the Neupogen but his platelet count is low again. I don't have to give him the injections anymore (one per arm each night was starting to get old) but they want to monitor what's happening with the platelets for a couple more days. They, the wonderful doctors at NIH, have officially cancelled Jeff's follow up tests scheduled this coming Thursday and his clinic appointment this Friday. I think they want Jeff to have a little more time to recover before even considering surgery. I couln't agree with them more. This round took it's toll on him physicially and emotionally.

Please keep your get well wishes and cards coming. They have been wonderful to help lift Jeff's spirits and remind him of all your love and support. Even the kindergarden class at J.C. Magill Elementery School in Loganville, Georgia has adopted Jeff and sent him some of the most colorful and uplifting messages we've seen (Thanks Ms. Connie & Class of 2018!).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jeff take it very slow it is not a race just to see you feel better is all I want to hear. I know we haven't seen each other in along time but my prayers are with you and your family each day. Sometimes we don't know what god plans are but just be patient you will find out believe me. I went through alot in September with my husband with a heart attack he is doing very good. So I know god has not brought you this find to let you go. I love reading what going on with you. Keep smiling the red sox won today I think of grandpa when I think of the red sox. Well remember I love you very much I will keep praying for you. Love your cousin Kathy (Colleen sister)

Anonymous said...

Fejjster,

Wow; round 2. I know it is a Sumna Beeatch now right now, but in the end you will be fine. The Dallas crew is focusing our prayers and thoughts on you Bro. I miss you and wish I could be with you through this. Your support team there is just phenominal and God Bless everyone for thier support.

Please give me a call when you are up to it.

Love ya Bro,
Mark

Anonymous said...

Jeff, Nice to see that you are home again...we know how attached you are to the "big screen." I'm currently on travel (so what else is new {:o), doing the AIRSpeed thing at AIMD Norfolk. Even on the road, I think of you often and pray for your strength, courage and peace of mind.
Take care,
Scott Mattison

Anonymous said...

Dear Jeff:

Just wanted to let you know that you are in everyone thoughts and prayers here in Texas and I know that in the end you will be fine. Just remember that we are all praying for you and love you.

Your sister-in-law,

Janie

Anonymous said...

Hey Cuz!

Let me see you are recovering on Wendy's Milkshakes, watching Idol and I am sure watching the Red Sox? This definitely should speed up the recovery process!

I have Red Sox tickets in your name as soon as you are able to get to Boston for a game!

Keep the faith!
Need to see more pictures of you smiling!


We all love you!

Kathy, Kevin, Tommy, Joe, Kris, Sarah and Madisyn

Anonymous said...

Hi honey -getting better is slow going and makes you feel discouraged. Things will improve. I say prayers for your recovery everyday and are on many prayer lists. Know we all love you very much. Keep the faith. Love Mom (G)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz (and Linda, Justin, Brittany and Bradley).

You know slow and steady won the race. It was so nice to talk to you and I know it is not easy but hang in there this too shall pass.

Everyone back here has you in their thoughts and prayers each and everyday. Not a moment goes that you close to my heart. YOU ARE LOVED :>)

Keep watching the Red Soxs and reading all that sports stuff you love and of course you can watch some bad TV.

When the time is right I will be there to see you, which I know will be sooner than later.

It is nice to read all the blogs here, the ones above are all from family, it only shows how much we all love you but a very important part in all our lives.

John says hello and keep rooting for the Red Sox, it looks like it will be a good season. The Red Sox played the Tampa Bay Devil Rays today and the Red Sox lost 5 to 1. The weather has been so nice, could not ask for better weather at Fenway Park.

I love you and you are in my prayers.

Love, your cousin, Colleen

Anonymous said...

Senior,

Remember the three definitions for "patient" ? --(1)somebody given/who receives medical treatment; (2)capable of waiting: able to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset; (3)capable of persevering: able to persevere calmly, especially when faced with difficulties.

Although you've no choice on the first, I'm certain you have found and will hold onto the strength to be the latter two. God bless you and your family.

Annette, B416 cube-neighbor

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff and Linda
Just getting into base from a long mission and catching up and seeing the progress glad to see the progress going ok and you are still in the prayer chain. I wish I could be there to offer some morall support but I guess prayer is sometimes the best we all can do and letting the Lord do the rest. I love and miss you hope the progress continues and you continue to gain strength
Love
Jim